Swanning

The other day, as I took on yet another big project at work (on top of a few other big projects and a million smaller ones) my big-boss told me that I was "swanning."

Because she is my big-boss, and I want her to think I'm very smart and on-the-ball, I nodded and smiled wondering what in the heck she was talking about.

I think I also misheard her and thought she said "swooning" and I was very confused, but again, I wanted to look competent, so I smiled.

Apparently my smile gave me away, because she said, "You know what swanning, is don't you?"

And that is when I had to come clean.

No, I don't, (apparently it's a British term so I didn't feel so bad) but once she explained it to me, it made complete sense.

Swans, swim like crazy under the water, but you can't see it.  All you see is their elegance gliding smoothly across the water. They are like the mullets of animals, business on the top, party on the bottom (that is if running around like crazy sounds like a party to you....)

So I took it as a compliment and left (before she could use other big words I didn't understand).

I keep thinking about that term, and the fact that people think I'M doing it. HA!

It makes me chuckle, because I feel like I'm Tasmanian Devil-ing most of the time.

Via
Or, as my grandma would call it- "running around like a chicken with my head cut off."

That phrase has always concerned me...

What I'm trying to say, is that life is spinning out of control this week and apparently I'm giving the outward impression of holding it all together.

Boy do I have them all fooled.

I am the furthest thing from having it all together this week.

Why?

I'm a single mom. (Don't worry it isn't permanent)

Chris is out of town, and has been since Sunday, and won't be back until Friday.

Trying to juggle the baby & puppy, working 10 hour days, getting the house ready for guests (that are coming tonight), and a nasty head cold that I can't seem to shake is proving more difficult that I expected.

Oh, did I mention that the baby hasn't slept longer than 4 hours straight in over a week and a half?

Yeah, that could be the main culprit of my insanity.

Either way, I do not know how single parents do it.

I have immense amounts of respect for them.

I'm literally counting down the hours until Chris comes home, and then I will proceed to beg him to never ever leave me again.

Luckily, my mother-in-law is a wonderful, caring and thoughtful woman.  She has been our fill-in-nanny while our real nanny has been traveling Europe (yes, I'm jealous).  She has made me dinner, done the laundry, washed the dishes, stayed late, come early, and so much more (like taking the dog to get his nails clipped).

Last night, she took the boys (yes, I'm referring to both my baby and my dog as boys) to her house to spend the night.   We call this Grandma Camp, and the boys LOVE it.  Momma loved it too.

I slept 8 full hours last night.

Which is why I was able to crawl out of my hole of chaos to tell you about my hole of chaos.

You can thank Grandma for that.

I know I'm behind on my Elephant Challenge project for this week, but lets be honest, what am I NOT behind on.  So when I Chris gets back and the guests head home, I'll be back with our regularly scheduled programming. 

Until then, here is a pic of my favorite boy at Grandma Camp.  He LOVES the water, so bath time is pretty much the best time of the day.

Comments