How do you eat an elephant?

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about work life balance.

Sometimes I feel like I've achieved it. 

Those days, I'm killing it at work, waking up early and then making it home in time to take Ketchum for a run, push Hunter on the swings, have dinner with my husband, bake some cookies and tidy the house while we watch a few episodes of West Wing.

Side note: OMG you guys, Mrs. Landingham dies??  I teared up for real. I can't handle deaths of characters I feel are real people- if President Bartlett dies, I'm done!  Sorry to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen that episode yet, but come on- this episode aired in 2008, get over it.

Ok back to balance.  Those days I talked about above, are few and far between.

Most of the time, I feel like I'm failing miserably at all things balance related.  Like an elephant is sitting on the other side of my scale, and I'm hopping up in down in vain to get it to budge.

I generally keep this sentiment to myself, mainly because it sounds like whining, and no one wants to hear that.  We all have the an elephant weighing us down, it may look different, but it's pretty much the same.

For me, my elephant is made up of lingering house projects, cleaning, pet hair (which is legitly its own category), organizing the closets & the shed & the den (pretty much organizing in general), cleaning my car, the fridge, the oven, the kitchen cabinets...the list goes on and on.  Not to mention the other side which is all the fun there is to be had- parties, dinners, friends, family, shopping, concerts or movies (seriously, do people go to those still.....)

Plus at work, I'm running sprints and a marathon at the same time.  I love what I do, but it is never ending and it takes every fiber in my being to leave my work for tomorrow and get in the car so that I can actually get home before Hunter goes to bed and so that I don't miss his open eyeballs entirely for the day.

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE my job.  I LOVE being a wife & mom.  I LOVE being a homeowner.  But I struggle with balance all the time.  Mostly because it just feels like so much to do.  I know, you get it, you are there too.

So, when I hopped over to one of my favorite blogs, 5 days 5 ways, a few days ago and read Abbie's post.  I felt like she was saying exactly what I was thinking.  And it didn't sound like complaining at all.  It actually sounded down right cheery and hopeful.

"How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."

Yes.

So I decided that her Elephant Challenge is exactly what I needed to accomplish the list of things that I have been putting off.
five days five ways | project elephant

Actually, I started this weekend.

I HIRED A HOUSE CLEANER!

Goodness, it was a long road to get here.  I'm the one to blame.  Chris was on board months ago, but I had to get recommendations, then do interviews and finally chose one.

I did it.

She starts on Thursday.

I know this is silly, but I am pretty sure this woman is going to change my life.  I will no longer stare at the toilets and wonder when I last cleaned them (ewww).

I took a bite out of the elephant.

Chomp.

So, I created a list of very do-able but nagging chores that I have been meaning to do, but I just never get around to. 

My plan is to chip away at them each week, without letting them impede on my time with Chris, Hunter and Ketchum.

Did I mention I have an obsession with to-do lists?

Yeah, so this is right up my alley.

Here's my list. 1 down, 4 to go.

I am going to check something off each week- not necessarily in order.

If you are so inclined, join in (in whatever way you want). I'd love to hear about it.

Good luck eating your elephant.  I think I'll be enjoying mine with a few stiff drinks.

Comments