To infinity and beyond

Lets get something straight.

I am NOT a fashion blogger.

Please note the emphasis on NOT.

What I am, is a sewer. 

Albeit, an amateur sewing aficionado, but a sewer none the less.

And I kind of love it. Almost as much as I love of Swedish fish and Sour patch kids {combined}.

Last weekend I shut myself in my sewing room for hours on end listening to music and sewing away. 

I went in there when it was daylight, and before I knew it, the sun had gone down and I was sewing in the dark (then I turned on the light).

Part of my hours of shut-in-ness I taught myself how to use my new-to-me serger. I got it from my grandmother- the one who taught me how to sew. Unfortunaetly she never taught me how to use it.... or to thread it.

I know this may not sounds super impressive, but trust me, it is.

I had to figure out how to thread the serger.... it has 3 sets of thread and 3 needles...and the instructions look like this:
Duh....
I promise this was really hard.

Really hard.

It required using tweezers, contorting my body upside down, squinting and sticking my tongue out of my mouth while hoping that the thread went in the right spots.

It was all worth it because I actually did it right, and then I was able to make something I've been dying to make- an infinity scarf.
With the help of my handy dandy new-to-me serger it was pretty much the easiest thing I have EVER sewed.

If you don't have a serger, you can still make this pretty darn easily.  If you don't have a sewing machine, you could even make this by hand.

I found this jersey striped fabric at Joann's with a 50% off coupon and couldn't resist.  You only need a yard of fabric, so you could even use a remnant.


If you don't want to have to sew the sides, you can buy a really stretchy jersey fabric that naturally rolls up and just leave them un-hemmed.

Step 1: Buy one yard of really cute fabric. 

I have a penchant for stripes, but any stretchy and cute fabric will do.

Step 2: Fold it in half length-wise then cut it in half width-wise. I used a scarf I already owned as a pattern for my new one. So now you have 2 almost-scarves (see how easy this is?).

Step 3: I serged around the edges to create a hem and take off any frayed parts. Id you don't have a serger, you could fold it over and sew a straight line down.  OR- you could fold it over and iron a hem down by using hem tape.

Step 4: Once you have the sides all hemmed, all you need to do is sew the ends together (either with a sewing machine or by hand). And ta-da you have an infinity scarf!

So here is the part where I remind you that I am not, and never will be, a fashion blogger. 

Why? 

Because you have to take seriously awkward photos of yourself, posing without looking like a total idiot.

Trust me on this one.  I took like 9 pictures and of course hated every single one, and I looked like an idiot.

Do you know how I rectified that problem? 

I cut my head out of all of them.

At least you guys don't have to bear witness to my horrible, awful, messed up faces that I inadvertently made, or my flock of seagulls hair that appeared out of nowhere.

But it doesn't really matter.  My head is not important.  It's all about the scarf.

The awesomely-easy-amazing-new-favorite- $7-infinity-scarf.




Comments