Tuesday Night Book Club


Have I introduced you to my friend the library?

If not, I can't believe I've gone this long without chatting about it.

I am obsessed with the library.

There are quite a few reasons that the library rocks my socks off.
  1. I get all the books I want for FREE
  2. Who needs Netflix when you can get DVD's for FREE?
  3. I can download books for my Nook for FREE

Did you pick up on the common theme?


You guessed it. 

I LOVE free stuff.

I also love to read. I credit this to my mom who pretty much had us all reading at 3 years old (no joke).  She also convinced us that writing our own books was a fun afternoon activity for me and my sisters. My mom was magical like that. 

She also always brought books with us everywhere we went.  We read books before bed, for fun and pretty much any time any between.  She made us love books.

Now I breeze through books like it's going out of style.  I go through about a book a week. If I had to purchase all the books that I read I would be book-broke.

Chris bought me a Nook for Christmas last year which really cut down on the paperbacks filling all of our rooms.   
I seriously love the Nook.  I thought I may miss the paper and the pages and the the smell of a book, but I don't.  I actually love the way I can listen to music while reading, surf the web and swap between multiple books at a time. 


I can download tons of books all at the same time and take them with me everywhere I go.  When we travel it sure makes my suitcase a lot lighter not having to pack tons of books.

I read all sorts of books, but mostly I am a fan of non fiction.  I am in a book club so I get lots of good book suggestions from the ladies in the club (I also get good wine suggestions. Book club=wine club).  I find most of my recommendations on Goodreads.  They have tons of lists, reviews from other readers, featured authors and so much more.  I am constantly looking for new suggestions and interesting titles.

Speaking of which, why aren't we friends on Goodreads??  Lets rectify this problem immediately.

Since I always love a good book suggestion, I thought I would share some of my favorites that I have read over the last year (in no particular order).






 

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
This is a great story of 3 sisters that has a fantastic twist at the end that I didn't see coming a mile a way! 









 

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
One of my favorite books of the year! This is an amazing true story/memoir about a drifter family and how that kind of childhood impacts the author's adult life.  This author also wrote Half Broke Horses, which is a memoir about her grandmother's life which was also interesting and engaging.





Sarah's Key by Tatiana DeRosnay
This is a historical fiction book about the Holocaust in France.  I love books about WWII and this story was so moving and beautiful.  A bit of a tear-jerker but a great read.










Another good WWII book is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  This is another tear-jerker, but it's an easy read since it is a young adult book.








 

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
If you haven't heard about this book, you need to run out and pick it up.  Pay full price.  It follows the journey of a woman who writes a book from the perspective of a black maid in the south.  So good!







I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I loved The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk.  I still haven't seen the movie, although its on my list for movies to watch when Chris is out of town.










Life of Pi by Yann Martel
This was a book that made me really think when I was done.  It is such a captivating story and an easy page turner.






I'm always reading, so I'll keep you posted on great reads as I finish them.


Please tell me what you are reading.  I'd love to take your suggestions! Unless of course you read romance novels or text books...then you can keep your suggestions to yourself.

In case you are in the market, I have the Nook 1st edition with WiFi which is now only $89 (what a steal)!

Comments