Bacon or Bust

I love bacon.

But I now know that I cannot eat bacon for every meal.

So, I hate to say that we failed our bacon challenge.

We ended up having to toss out some bacon, which breaks my heart, but at the same time, I was ready to see it go.

We ate BLT's, bacon & cheddar mashed potatoes, pasta with bacon and bacon bits in salad.  We baconed it up.

But we still couldn't get 'er done.

3 pounds of bacon is a lot of bacon y'all. (That is my best Paula Dean impression)

I did manage to make a killer soup for our last night of Bacon-apalooza, and I know you all want to eat more bacon in your lives, so here is the recipe:

Potato cheddar bacon soup    (Adapted from this recipe)
  • 6 slices of bacon, diced
  • 2 Tbs Margarine
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbs Flour
  • 4 Cups Chicken stock
  • 6 small-medium gold potatoes, cubed
  • 1 1/3 Cups Light Sour Cream
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Cheddar cheese, shredded 

In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the bacon until browned but not crispy. Reduce heat to medium, add the butter or margarine and onions and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the flour and stir well for one minute.

Remove saucepan from heat and gradually add the chicken stock, stirring well. Return to stove top, raising heat to high. 


Add the potatoes, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Gradually add the sour cream and cheddar to the soup, stirring well. Heat through, but do not boil. Top with shredded cheddar just before serving.


I added fresh parsley on the top, but decided it wasn't very good- so add at your own risk!

Comments