2 Buck Chuck 2.0
Remember my friend 2 buck chuck?
Remember my pledge to get him recovered sooner rather than later?
Here we are in July, and I'm finally getting around to dealing with Chuck.
I have finally stripped him naked and exposed his innards.
The hardest part was pulling out all the mini-nails out of the back. It was painstaking work, but most of the nails came out clean so I am hoping to reuse them when I recover the chair.
I finally found some upholstery fabric that I liked and I had a 40% off coupon, so I only had to spend $17 on 2 yards of fabric (which is really good for upholstery fabric).
My biggest decision was what to do with the chair's wood color. I toyed with staining it to a dark espresso finish, or spray painting it white, red or yellow.
I figured all of those would be great, but I couldn't' commit to any of them. So Chuck sat untouched until I could make a decision.
I was at the hardware store the other day pick up some caulk and on a whim I walked down the paint aisle. The hardware store had just got all new paint in and had rows and rows of new colors, but none of them jumped out at me. Then I saw a spot where the paint was gone and decided to look at the back of the shelf. That's when I found it.
The very last can of Oasis Blue (kind of tealish).
It was calling to me and telling me to buy it.
So I did.
I also bought a can of primer and some sand paper to prepare the chair before I sprayed it with the blue. I wanted to make sure the paint stuck to the chair and didn't streak or scratch.
I taped off the innards of the chair to protect them from the sanding, primer and paint.
I used a very high grit sandpaper so that it didn't scratch the wood, but still took off the clear finish and roughed up the surface.
I wiped down the chair with a damp cloth after the sanding, and let it dry for about 10 minutes in the sun. Then I used a can of Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 spray primer to coat all the wood surfaces.
It covered like a champ! I let it dry out in the sun for a good long time and then came back and sprayed the chair with Valspar Oasis Blue paint. It took almost the whole can, to cover all the wood surfaces, but it covered great! The semi-gloss paint has a perfect shine to it.
I left it in our basement to dry for 2 full days to ensure it was completely cured and I haven't actually moved it from there.
I actually have a really good excuse for not finishing this project. We got our new puppy this weekend and so re-upholstery got put on the back burner.
I'll be back tomorrow with a full update on our new little guy.