Winner winner chicken dinner

Well, really it was winner winner PORK dinner.

And the winner winner part is really just wishful thinking.


Why are they doing this contest?  Probably because they are awesome, and they know that people LOVE those darn cookies and will do pretty much anything for them.  

I got 5 boxes to experiment with, and I'm quite sure I have eaten my weight in those cookies- for testing purposes only.

The things I do for free stuff....

Anyway.  Chris was a great helper on this one, as he is the resident cook in this house (I am the baker).
So we did what anyone would do.

We had an awesome brainstorming session.

Isn't that what you do when you decide what to make for dinner??

Just to be clear we didn't use a white board, although I kind of wish we had.

We decided that our cookie of choice was the Trefoil- which is a simple shortbread cookie.

We contemplated doing fried chicken coated in the cookies, but I thought chicken may be a bit too generic.  Then we tried to come up with a way to use Marty the cow, but nothing really was standing out to us, then I came up with the brilliant idea to use pork.

I'm on a rosemary kick at the moment. Thanks to the Rosemary tree my friend gave me for Christmas, which I'm presently trying to use all up before it dies.... I'm not good with indoor plants.

Anyway, I loved the pork.

I have to say I was not the best photographer on this one, but lets be honest, it was about the eating.

Rosemary Trefoil Pork Chops
 
3 Pork Chops (I chose boneless, but either would work)
1 cup Trefoil Girl Scout cookies crushed (this was about half a plastic package)
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 Tsp fresh Rosemary chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1 clove garlic
3 eggs
1/2 C White flour
1/2 C Wheat flour
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Sauce
2 tbs unsalted butter
1/4 Heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp fresh crushed garlic
1/2 tsp onion powder

Pour about 1 tbs of olive oil into a frying pan, then sauteed the fresh rosemary sprigs in the oil to infuse the rosemary flavor into the cooking oil (I left it on low for about 15-20 minutes).  At the same time, preheat your oven to 375.

Rub the pork chops with the garlic clove, to infuse some garlic flavor into them.  Let them sit for about 5 minutes. Remove the rosemary from the oil and discard.  Increase temp in the frying pan to medium.

Whisk the 3 eggs together into one  bowl. 

Mix the flours together into a second bowl.

Crush the Trefoils (I used a rolling pin and a ziplock bag), then mix those with salt & pepper, garlic powder & onion powder in a third bowl.

Dredge the pork in the egg, then into the flour, then back into the egg, and finally into the Trefoil mixture.

Brown the crust on the pork int he rosemary oil until golden (about 5 minutes per side).  


Once the crust is golden, place the pork into a greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375.


While the pork is baking, make the sauce by melting the butter in a pan on the stove top.  Once the butter is melted, whisk in the whipping cream.  Heat to a near boil, then turn the heat to low.  Stir in the garlic and onion powder and continue to stir until sauce has thickened.

Pour sauce over pork and serve.  I served it with broccoli rabe and rice...yum!


And there you have it.

It was delish if I do say so myself.

Chris did mention that you have to like rosemary to make this dish.  

Duh.  Thanks captain obvious!

I had so much fun with this whole challenge.  I can't wait to see what everyone else came up with.

If you are dying to know who wins (before I tell you), you can check it out on their site: www.girlscoutsww.org/Pages/Recipe-Contest or www.GirlScoutsWW.org/Recipe-Winners.

Oh, and if I am the big winner, you know I'll be doling out my cookie winnings among you all, so cross your fingers for me!

Comments