Pimp my ride: Husky Tailgate style

Garage sale season is upon us.

I think he has already decided that he loves garage saling with me.  Mostly because it's basically new-toy day every time we go.

A few weeks ago we stopped by a friend's sale and he fell in love with a pretty pretty princess cozy coupe car.

It was love at first sight.

He was not leaving without the car.  So for $5, it was his.

Not that there is anything wrong with Hunter's love of a pink car...but I had bigger and better plans for it.

I had a project in mind.

And it's been way too long since I had a project to work on...and no, cooking a baby doesn't count as a project.

So, after he went for a nap, I disassembled it and gave it a good washing to get it ready to paint.


Its be amazingly warm and sunny in Seattle over the last month, so it only took a few hours to dry.

Then I got to work prepping the car for it's paint job.  I was channeling Xzibit the whole time I was planning out how I was going to Pimp this ride.

If I wanted to do it, I was going to do it right.

75% of all the work of painting is in the prep.  It's usually my least favorite part of the process, but I was kind of excited to have a project to work on, so I painstakingly wrapped tape around everything I didn't want exposed to paint.



I had a vague plan in my head, but of course, it was only half baked, so I kind of winged the paint job. I started with a base of purple knowing that was going to be the main color of the car.

I had no idea how much paint this thing would soak up. I purchased spray paint that is specially formulated for plastic and covered it in, what seemed like a million, light coats- letting it dry in between.

The roof was a 3 step process.  I sprayed it white (to cover the blue), then yellow to cover the white, and finally metallic gold (which was a regular spray paint, so I needed it to have a good base to adhere to).



Once everything had dried for a few days in the backyard, I was ready to add some accents.  I added stripes to the doors and did some gold and white accents on the headlights and license plate.


Once those were dry, we reassembled the whole thing.  Hunter was a huge help...

I added a few UW decals to it, and I am still on the lookout for a UW mini license plate for the front of the car, but since perfection wasn't my goal- I'm calling it done.

Chris and Hunter will be tailgating all season with this thing....seriously, Chris plans on taking the car with them to the tailgate.

I can't wait to see him in action at the games.  He is so obsessed with Football, I can only imagine going to the games this year is going to be the best thing ever.

Hunter loves his new car.  He loved it before the paint job, and he loves it just as much now, but we love it more.  A mini Husky-mobile...it's just too cute.

In case you need a reminder of the before....
 
And the after....

Shirt off and beverage in the back...I think he has the tailgating thing figured out already.

Comments