Full of thanks

Just popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving.

Each year we divide the holiday between our two families, running from one part of town to the other.  The chaos of holidays is equal parts fun and exhausting- but we wouldn't have it any other way, we do well in chaos (ugh...puppy & baby & construction).  

This year, we have a bit more baggage with our new additions. With everything I'm packing, it looks like we are going to be gone for a week.

This is our 11th year of splitting the holiday, so we are old pros at it by now.  We have a routine at each house and I have to be choosy about what I eat each place so I don't get too full (Chris doesn't have that problem, he eats seconds at BOTH houses....he's a bottomless pit). Unfortunately, both of our moms are FANTASTIC cooks, so being choosy about their food is tough!

First, we head to my parent's for dinner at 4:30.  At that meal, I have an extra helping of cauliflower & cheese sauce.  It is the best Velveeta recipe EVER....some day I will have to share it (I swear it's good).  Then my grandma and I sit at the table and scour the Black Friday ads.  In the past, we would get up at 4am on Friday and hit the stores, but now I buy everything online with the same great deals.  Honestly, I need as much sleep as I can get, and if I don't have to be up at 4am, I am not going to be, so the ads are really just for fun.

Then we head to Chris' parents for dinner round two.  I skip the turkey all together at this dinner and focus on the sides and then the best part.... my whole day leads up to dessert.  I bring the dessert, and it is my favorite (duh).

We do traditional pumpkin pie and I always make an apple pie for Chris' dad since he is not a fan of pumpkin.  I have a slice of each and pair it with a glass of champagne.  It is Heaven.

Whether your day is chaotic or relaxing, I hope it's just right for you. Maybe you will be enjoying crack pie (aka Brownie pumpkin cheesecake pie) this year, or maybe you go out to Chinese food and get a movie.  Whatever you are doing, I hope its fantastic (and delicious).

In between all the chaos of today, I can't help but focus on all that I am thankful for and all the blessings in our life. Things are not always perfect and they don't always go according to my plan, but I am very lucky, and today I'm going to focus on that.


Comments