Bye-bye booze

Time flies when you are having fun.

Today marks the one year anniversary of us moving into our house.  I can't believe 365 days have already come and gone.  It feels like a blink of an eye.  I already have a hard time remembering a time when we didn't live here- it feels like ages ago.

So here we are.  It's March already.  And if its March, it must mean Lent is in full swing.

It's already one week into it and I completely forgot to publicly announce what I am giving up for the 40 days and 40 nights. You know public statements keep me accountable.

This year, I gave up alcohol.

All alcohol in all forms- straight out of a bottle, shaken, stirred, blended and on the rocks.  Our wine rack is going to be sad and lonely for a while (unless Chris decides to drink for both of us).

I have given up all different things over the years- last year I gave up 3 things- swearing, candy and deep fried foods, so this year I wanted to go for something different.

Now don't get me wrong.  I don't drink alcohol that much.  I actually drink WAY more diet coke than alcohol, but I thought that I would try something new this year.  Something I've never done (and I'm cutting back on my Diet Coke addiction too).

What makes this no-alcohol promise especially hard is that I have quite a few events in the next 40 days.

Events= drinking.

First is my birthday is tomorrow, which always falls during Lent, so I usually shy away from giving up anything that I associate with my birthday (like cake and champagne).  It seems only right to have a celebratory drink or two on your birthday, but this year, I'll be enjoying a refreshing mock-tail and being the designated driver. 

Speaking of birthday's, my little sister's 21st birthday is in a few weeks, Chris' birthday is right after than and two of my best friends are also in March.  Looks like I'll be toasting them all with sparkling cider.

We also have 2 different charity events coming up, both have open bar all night with specialty cocktails, wine pairings and champagne toasts.  I hope they also have diet coke fountain soda.

Since I didn't give up sweets or candy this year, you can be sure that I will over indulge in cake, ice cream, fro-yo, candy and pretty much anything else I can get my hands on to take the spot of those vacant drinking calories.

I'm going to party like its 1999 (and I'm underage).

32 days to go, and I'll have a celebratory toast!

Happy Lent, goodbye booze.

We also took on doing something good this year- we are going to check out the local church near our house and start attending more frequently.

Comments