Use it or lose it

Now that me pre-baby pants are zipping up (and not cutting off my circulation), I decided to start taking stock of my wardrobe.  

Its kind of a sad sight.

I haven't shopped for anything new in over a year.  Being pregnant is not exactly conducive to buying new cool clothing, and then post pregnancy, all I bought were yoga pants and long tank tops.

So, a few weeks ago, I decide to take on a personal challenge.

I am calling it 'Wear Everything March."

Which makes me think of the Friend's episode where Joey puts on all of Chandler's clothes to get back at him for stealing his underwear.

This is not like that.

I'm forcing myself to wear everything I have in my closet by the end of March.  

Not all at the same time.

If I put it on and hate it, I am NOT putting it back in my closet.

If it doesn't fit quite right, or has a hole, or a stain or shrunk to be too small- it's going bye-bye.

At the end of the month, I will take my bags of things I no longer wear and donate them.

Then, I will assess what pieces I am missing from my wardrobe and go shopping (it's like a reward for getting rid of so much stuff).

I already have a HUGE pile on my closet floor.

Today, I walked into work in a pencil skirt, tights and heels I haven't worn in well over a year.

I'm sure people think I'm going on an interview, or am trying to impress my new boss.

Nope, just trying to wear all of my clothes!

I did have someone ask me about clothing that is out of season right now.

I may make a few exceptions for some summer dresses and flip flops, but other than that, it's use it or lose it around here.

Some things I am sad to part with- like the yellow spring trench coat from Gap that I longed for for months, finally bought on clearance and then NEVER wore.

Other things I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I like- like the button up shirt my mom bought me from Sam's Club (you know what a hot bed of fashion that place is).  I haven't worn it except a handful of times over the last 5 years, but I realized with a cardigan and a colorful belt, it's actually kind of adorable.  

So, today a pencil skirt, tomorrow maybe I'll sew on the missing button on that argyle sweater from J Crew that I couldn't live without.

Spring cleaning.  Closet style.

Comments